When you stay at Peaks of Otter Lodge there are things to do right in the area. And there are lots of things to do in the nearby communities.
Things To Do At Peaks:
- Walk the one-mile round trip paved path around Abbott Lake.
- Play a game of cornhole at the edge of the lake.
- Watch the best birding on Flat Top Mountain Trail.
- Hike or take the shuttle to Sharp Top Mountain.
- Enjoy spectacular night skies viewing.
- Read a book in one of the Adirondack chairs located on the lawn at the lake.
- Hike the Johnson Farm Trail that passes through a mountain farmstead that exists today as it did in the 1930's.
- Enjoy a specialty drink or craft beer in the Peaks Bar & Lounge while gazing out at majestic Sharp Top Mountain.
Things To Do With Your Dog
Your pup will be able to enjoy all the fun they can handle at Peaks of Otter Lodge! There are a limited number of pet-friendly rooms available, but so much to see and do with your best friend.
- Take a lap around Abbott Lake with your pup.
- Stroll through the historic Roanoke City Market, where you and your pooch can experience local goods and culture in a vibrant setting.
- Hike to the top of Flat Top Mountain. You'll both love the huge variety of birds you'll encounter.
- Relax with a book (or a bone) in an Adirondack chair overlooking Abbott Lake.
- "Go for a ride?!" down the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Things To Do In The Region Within An Hour's Drive:
- Visit the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, and Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest in Forest.
- Sample wines at six vineyards along the Bedford Wine Trail.
- Enjoy local, award-winning craft beer at Beale's Brewery in Bedford, and Apocalypse Ale Works in Forest.
- Canoe or tube the James River with Twin River Outfitters in Buchanan.
- Take in the historic sites of Lee Chapel & Museum, Stonewall Jackson House and Memorial Cemetery in Lexington.
- Take a carriage ride with the Lexington Carriage Company.
- Sample craft beers at Great Valley Farm Brewery and Devils Backbone Outpost Brewery in Lexington.
- Visit the Historic Roanoke City Market in downtown Roanoke for a huge assortment of locally-produced products, including photography and crafts.
- Head to the top of Mill Mountain to visit the Roanoke Star & Overlook.
- Visit the Virginia Museum of Transportation with an extensive collection of steam, diesel, and electric locomotives and other types of rail cars.
- Explore the historic homes, Civil War sites, storied grave sites and architecture of Lynchburg.